Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Knitting!!!!

Tonight, out of the blue, Clara pulled out her knitting supplies and asked me to teach her how to knit. I don't know how long ago it was that she received some yarn and needles in a cool little basket from Grammy (Christmas 2007?), and was thrilled to bits. The thrill was quickly gone, however, since Clara has a rather limited ability to accept imperfections in her work. So, the knitting stuff disappeared into the quagmire of her closet, never to be seen again. Until tonight. And, shock of shocks, Clara sat patiently as I did the casting on and knit a few rows for her to watch, then hand-over-handed with her for a bit. She didn't try to snatch it away and insist on doing it herself. She watched. She listened. And, before too long, she knit! Oh, naturally there were holes here and there, but –get this– she didn't freak out! She just asked for some help occasionally, which I happily gave her.

Clara worked away, tongue extended in concentration, row after row after row. Then, she paused and held up her handiwork for us to admire.
Without missing a beat, Trevi called out, "You knitted a Thneed!" (Awesome parent/teacher moment for me to see my child connect text to life, while simultaneously making a seriously funny joke!)

It didn't take long for Trevi to feel the need for Thneed (sorry, I couldn't resist). I dug out some more needles and yarn, knit him a few rows, then watched as he systematically destroyed the thing, while muttering things like, "Oh no, I dropped a stitch!" I'm not kidding.
This has been one of the most amazing and amusing nights in recent history.

No comments: