Friday, August 1, 2008

X is for Xeriscape

One of the ideas I'm stealing from Trevor's preschool is engraved on a wooden plaque on their wall. It lists "The ABC's of Life. Now, normally I think those kinds of things are totally dorky (except for All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten...that one rocks) but I read this one over and it actually made me all verklempt.

It goes like this:

Accept differences
Be kind
Count your blessings
Dream
Express thanks
Forgive
Give freely
Harm no one
Imagine more
Jettison anger
Keep confidences
Love truly
Master something
Nurture hope
Open your mind
Pack lightly
Quell rumors
Reciprocate
Seek wisdom
Touch hearts
Understand
Value truth
Win graciously
Xeriscape
Yearn for peace
Zealously support a worthy cause.

Verklempt again. Is it just me?
Anyway, the teacher in me got to thinking. I will be leaping up to 5th Grade this year (after eight years in Kindergarten), and here I had stumbled upon a lovely little document that pretty much sums up everything I want to say to my students. My mind is going wild with writing prompts, role-playing, readers' theater, literature connections....I feel myself morphing into a 5th grade teacher already!

There was only one little question in my mind, which was easily answered by wikipedia: What does xeriscape mean? I grinned a goofy grin when I saw the definition. It means exactly what we are doing in our front yard right now!!!!! Getting rid of a water-sucking lawn, and planting drought-resistant ornamental grasses, herbs, and other native plants.
It doesn't look like much yet, but we will be xeriscaping like crazy over the next few days. I'm going to dedicate myself to C and R this week, as well.

2 comments:

Tara and Dale said...

kind of crazy and semi-stalkerish how much i missed your blog these last weeks. my mom also mentioned it as well, so we are both so glad to see so many updates. love, love, love the a-z list...

also great to see so many photos of you! hawaii sounds like it was fab, and the two of you look fantastic. :)

Popo and Nana and Gong Gong and Granda said...

Yep, I am glad to see you back too. I also loved the a-z. Being a desert rat, I knew about zeriscaping. However, I did not when we first moved here 27 years ago. Yeah for you in working on it.

Glad you enjoyed Hawaii...how could you not.

Enjoy...:)