Monday, September 29, 2008

Colorflower

Okay, seriously, have you ever seen cauliflower like this?
Grammy got it for us at the Farmers' Market, and we couldn't wait to try it out. According to google, the purple has tons of antioxidants, and the orange is high in Vitamin A. Just as long as they didn't get that way by soaking in a tub of food coloring, I'm fine with it. I always felt sorry for those turquoise carnations....

I took a picture before I cooked them, because I figured they'd fade as they steamed. We had some purple green beans once (I guess that's an oxymoron), and they lost every ounce of purpleness while cooking. I guess I needn't have worried here. The colors looked even bolder after the steam had done its thing:
I can't really comment on the taste, because I'm really stuffed up, and can't taste a thing. The kids said that both colors tasted exactly like white cauliflower, though. Trevi added that we should call it Colorflower. And so we will.

Later, perhaps inspired by dinner, the kids and Lisa donned rainbow belts (a.k.a. linking car tracks).
The water in the steaming pot, by the way, turned vivid green. It was a colorful night in our house.

PS: Apologies to all Canadian readers that I have ditched the correct spelling of the word, "colour". When in Rome.....

1 comment:

Tara and Dale said...

dyann, how i have missed you and your sweet family. and, even as an american, i'm highly offended that you spelled the word color/colour in the american way. :)

in a teeny stalker-like way, yippee that you are back!