Friday, December 12, 2008

Guys in the Yard

My very first ebay purchase was also my first blatant attempt at reliving my childhood vicariously through my own children. It was my beloved yellow Fisher Price house, full of people and furniture. Within a week or so I'd also bid on (and won!) the Fisher Price garage that my brother used to have, and the Sesame Street clubhouse that we never had, but always coveted when playing with the kids around the corner.
Clara took to these wonderful old toys quickly, and called the sphere-headed, armless people her "guys". The guys have been very popular with everyone in the house in the six years since they joined our family.

This afternoon, Trevi took the guys (and much of their furniture) out for a hike in the wilderness (aka our jungle-like front yard). The guys dug holes, rappelled down into them, and climbed out, again and again.
I particularly love listening to the dialog between characters in these adventures. I overheard today as one of the guys requested a long slide to "get down the mountain quickly and easily".
Trevi ran to fetch a yardstick, which worked perfectly. The guy told Trevor, "This is the fastest and most wooden slide I've ever seen! Thank you for your help, Giant!"
PS: We lost "The Count" from the Sesame Street guys a while back. I have a sneaking suspicion that he may be buried somewhere in the front yard.

No comments: