Monday, December 15, 2008

Puppy Chow

Grandma introduced me to Puppy Chow. I think I must have been in my teens when she started making it and giving us all little bags of it for Christmas. The bags were tied with a piece of curled ribbon and labeled with a tiny rectangular tag. Grandma had that lovely old cursive that's probably identical to that of a thousand other grandmas out there. Sometimes I pull out the letters I have stashed away in a box, ones that she sent me when I was at camp, or university, or overseas, and her handwriting makes me smile. Her words make me smile.

I think Grandma must have been smiling down on the lot of us tonight as we coated buckets of cereal (and ourselves) with chocolate and peanut butter.
I know that Grandma appreciates the fact that another traditional Christmas gift of hers - her hand knit cotton washcloths - still wipe down the counters and scrub out the bowls after every delicious mess. All I need now is some Labello, and some white grape juice with ginger ale. :)

1 comment:

Family Fables said...

: ) brought a tear to my eye!

Since we can't do puppy chow I have been looking for ritz bits to make her other Christmas tradition but haven't found them this year. totally bummed.