Tuesday, March 10, 2009

No Pink Slip!

Today I received the oh-so-relieving news that I am not being laid off. Almost 80 teachers in our small school district received Reduction In Force notices this week, but I was not one of them. "Pink Slip" sounds prettier than RIF Notice, I know, but the truth is that they aren't actually pink, and there's nothing pretty about them. I honestly don't know what I would have done if I'd lost my job. For teachers around here, there is nowhere to go.

I could go on and on about the plight of public education in California, as it is a subject that's near and dear to my heart, but two nearer and dearer things played paper airplanes tonight. So, I will soar with them, instead of grousing.

You gotta love paper airplanes. Seriously. Play with paper. Awesome.
These blue planes were folded according to a pattern in a book, and they fly like nobody's business. Clara and Trevor tossed and tossed, and laughed and laughed, while I rescued the planes every time they landed somewhere out of kid reach.
Come to think of it, now I know exactly what to do with a pink slip, if I ever do get one in the future.

No comments: