Monday, July 6, 2009

Stop the presses!

Shock of all shocks, I SEWED TODAY!!!! Funny, because I follow a couple of blogs by some (annoyingly) crafty people, who are always whipping stuff up out of thin air, like clothing, food, and home storage units. I admit that I would love to be more of a maker and less of a buyer, but, well, people who make and do everything kind of irritate me, especially when they talk like they're always in a state of bliss. Also, I haven't yet found the wormhole to the parallel universe that facilitates the knitting of all one's family's sweaters and the growing of all one's salads from seed. So why do I read these blogs, if they irritate me? Well, I guess it's the wavering ratio of irritation to inspiration. After all, there must have been some force acting upon me this morning when I dug my sewing machine out of the garage ("I didn't know you had a sewing machine, Mummy!") and proceeded to make bedding and nightwear for all three of Trevor's cats.

Trevi said he wished that the cats had blankets, pillows, and jammies. Apparently, his wish was my command. I ironed up some old scraps from my (ancient and few) quilting days, somehow remembered how to thread the machine (which, thankfully, already had a full bobbin), and even managed to decipher the IKEAesque sewing machine instructions for different settings, with their wholly unclear pictures of fingers pointing at various spots on the machine, and exes telling me what not to do. I kind of got into it, actually. And the kids were so flabbergasted to see me sewing that they just stood there quietly watching, looking through the fabrics, and soliciting opinions from the cats.

Here you see Lisa in the foreground, who chose a farm animal pillow, an orange nightgown, and a blanket which finally put to use a handquilted sample that's been taking up space in a garage bin since the nineties.
In the middle is Buttono. Not sure how I should be spelling that. Trevi pronounces it like "Butt-no", but he says he named her after the buttons on a robot. So, ya. She (a girl, since our black and white cat is female) has a nightgown that matches Lisa's, and a blanket made from the bottoms of our too-long curtains, which are now more pink than red.
Way in back is Chocolate Penny (a boy, like our orange and white cat), who is named after Hanukkah gelt (in Trevi's words, "...the chocolate money you get for Christmas when you play with the dreidel."). Chocolate Penny chose a fishbone pattern for both jammies and pillow, and his blanket is made from one of my favorite scraps (Lime green, orange, turquoise, and yellow. Heaven.)

At Trevor's request, I made a little tail hole for Chocolate Penny.

Clara was completely in on this whole process, and didn't ask for a thing for herself. She enthusiastically helped Trevi coordinate fabric and stuff pillows. As a thank you for her selflessness, I started making clothes for Gracie. An old bathing suit with dead elastic turned into a summer dress:
And something a bit more conservative for the times she doesn't want to look like a hussy:

I've got the fever! Clara's ripped shorts will soon be a new denim outfit for Gracie; the cats may just get that tent they've always dreamed of....
Oh, shoot, do I sound blissful and crafty? This might be a good night to have Easy Mac for dinner, and leave the homegrown heirloom tomato salad for another day.....

1 comment:

Tara and Dale said...

omg, loving every minute of this. i was just thinking of the post about the homemade doll furniture the other day. random! all looks great. :)