Saturday, February 26, 2011

Lament on a Haircut

Dear Clara,

Your hair has been so long for.... well.... so long, that I was pretty surprised when you decided that you wanted to cut a bunch of it off. You were so excited about having a new look that I didn't even stop to think that maybe I should convince you to ease into it...to just take off a couple of inches at a time, and see how you liked it. As I sat there watching in the salon, and the hairdresser went in to make that first big snip, part of me wanted to leap out of the chair and stop her...to tell her that she shouldn't go that short. But, a split second later, it was too late. And you were happy at first. But I kind of knew that you would be filled with regret when we got home. I knew, because Honeybun, I have been there so, so many times. Coming home from a haircut and staring in the mirror wanting to cry. Wishing I could turn back the clock. Wishing I had just stayed home that day. So, I am so, so sorry that you feel sad about your hair. I feel like I should have done something to prevent the way you are feeling right now. But I'm not kidding when I say that you'll have a ponytail again in a few months. You will. And I am certainly 100% sincere when I say that you are absolutely beautiful, inside AND out, whether you look like Rapunzel or like Daddy, or anything in between.

And, if you'll permit me to steal a few words from your beloved KKIQ :)
Pretty pretty please, don't you ever ever feel like you're less than perfect.
Pretty pretty please, if you ever ever feel like you're nothing, you're perfect to me.

Love,
Mummy

1 comment:

gomma said...

I hope that Clara donated all that
lovely mane for a wig to crown the
bald pate of a kid undergoing chemo.
She still looks lovely to me . . and
fewer tangles to mess with!