Thursday, January 15, 2009

You had me at, "Othello"

I remember playing Othello with my brothers. "A minute to learn. A lifetime to master," the box claims. I love games like that. Everybody can play to some extent. And you don't have to feel all dumb like you do when you haven't played chess in a while, and you stare at the pieces with zero strategy.

***Just saying this about chess brings back a vivid memory of sitting hunched over a hand-carved, colorful little chess board in the Lima airport. Tara and I were laughing about how haphazard our moves were, and a few curious travelers were gathering around us as we played. Do you remember that, Tara? That memory was hiding way down in the recesses somewhere....

Trevi loves Othello because he likes to look for "diagonal sandwiches". Strategy doesn't concern him, and he's not compelled to make big captures. He just wants to find a diagonal sandwich every turn. A game with Trevor requires endurance, though, since he feels the need to count all of the pieces of each color at the end of every turn. And, since he knows that the teacher in me loves that kind of thing, and the mother in me loves to revel in all he can do, he can guarantee himself a solid 30 minutes of Mummy time when he asks me to play.I just had to include this photo, because it was taken under protest. Trevi's exact words, echoing those of his photo-intolerant (but loving and wonderful) dad, were, "Why do you need to take a million pictures of me playing Othello? I look exactly the same as I did yesterday. I'm even wearing the same shirt!"

1 comment:

gomma said...

Oh! Dyann! How do you come up with
such wonderful blogs ... and the
photogenic kids!!! Othello sounds
like a real winner, better than the
tick-tac-toe and puzzles at Thanks-
giving...Gomma