Sunday, May 3, 2009

Look what I made!!!!

I am so, so super proud. I have branched out beyond painting walls! This weekend, I actually produced a piece of "art"!
We had a chunk of the kitchen that needed some pizazz, and a big canvas that I picked up ages ago for fifteen bucks.
Knowing full well that art is not my thing, I figured I should try to make some sort of geometric design involving squares.
I needed some guidance, so I googled "squares acrylic on canvas" or something like that, and searched around for something that spoke to me. I found this one that completely read/blew my mind. "Salsa Squares". Perfect. Now, I don't really know how the artist (Theresa from Illinois) would feel if she knew I was copying her design, shape for shape, and color for color. I can only hope that it would lean more towards imitation-is-the-sincerest-form- of-flattery, than who-does-this-hack/criminal-think-she-is- copying-my-design, but I can't be sure. I hope this act of forgery doesn't make me a horrible person. Theresa did sell her painting (more than a year ago) for beaucoup bucks, and my brush strokes will never be confused with those of an artist. So, thank you, Theresa from Illinois. I tried my best to do justice to your amazing work. I hope you don't mind.

It started with some grid-making, sketching, and outlining:
More outlining:

And then, after a whole bunch of painting,
TA DA!!!!!!! :
I stayed up way too late working on it after the kids were in bed, and had to hit the coffee big time in the morning. SO worth it. I can see why crafty people are happy and glowy all the time. It feels good to make something besides dinner.

3 comments:

Miriam said...

So fabulous, it looks like something I could buy at a store! It's beautiful!!!

Popo and Nana and Gong Gong and Granda said...

I am impressed. Had you not told us you did this...I would have thought some famous artist had done it...but, wait...one did...you. Congrats on all the color and talent.

Tara and Dale said...

i love it! i do remember back in the day that when you got your mind onto something, you would stay up really late and finish it. wasn't there a first grade show that was created, directed and composed all in one night one year?

really really love it. like 'i want to be a big copycat' love it.