Sunday, November 7, 2010

Girls' Weekend in Sacramento

Even though it was a soccer weekend, it felt a bit like a girls' getaway. Clara and I had tons of time to hang out between games in Sacramento, and we made the most of it. We browsed in the bookstore for hours, ate dinner at CPK, got frozen yogurt with a bunch of sugary awesomeness on top, and relaxed in the hotel room.

The soccer part of the weekend was a bit torturous - it was freezing cold, windy, and it poured rain most of the time. I'm so proud of Clara for her grit and determination on the field, despite the miserable conditions. I'm calling her Tenacious C from now on. :)

I only dared to take my camera out for a second, but you can see the edge of a frozen and wet parent under an umbrella. The poor girls were out there unprotected:
In the car, we huddled under blankets and drank hot beverages.
And, in a moment of nostalgia (and unwillingness to get out of the warm car in the deluge), we hit the drive-"thru" for breakfast. Clara enjoyed her first ever Egg McMuffin, as I told her the story of a road trip I took with my mom and brothers when I was about her age. We drove from Mississauga to Ottawa, camping and staying in little motels along the way, and indulging in breakfast at McDonald's almost every day. We were in heaven. :)
As for Clara's impressions of the Egg McMuffin, she said, "Mummy, when you described this to me, I thought it sounded kind of gross, but it's actually really delicious!" I can't even remember the last time I went to McDonald's, let alone had an Egg McMuffin (minus the ham, of course). Man, it was tasty. We savored ours in the hotel room, while Clara's soccer uniform dried out a bit.
We really had a fabulous time, and I hereby vow that Clara and I will have another getaway again soon. Maybe the next one will involve Burger King Croissandwiches......

No comments: