Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Rice, Yarn and Ice

I think the neurons in the creative side of my brain have been firing overtime this week. I've been cooking, for one thing. No, not just chopping veggies and putting them in a steamer, or boiling noodles, or opening a package of something. I've actually followed recipes. First it was some loaded spaghetti sauce, then pumpkin soup, then squash risotto with sage, and then meatloaf. Look at me! Little Miss Cook! Who knew?

I have also been obsessively making ice lanterns (one per night), which doesn't exactly flex the creative muscle, but has flashy results.
And if you're drinking tea beside a wood stove on a chilly day, you should be knitting, right?
I'm expecting to hear from Country Living magazine any day now. Surely they'll want to write an article on me. :)

4 comments:

Tara and Dale said...

You crack me up. I remember those freakish bursts of creativity in you that produced some cool results--one being a play you wrote in one evening for your first graders. I remember it being pretty darn brilliant!

loving the ice lanterns--how very Canadian of you. :)

Popo and Nana and Gong Gong and Granda said...

Gotta ask...what does one do with "ice lanterns"? Living in AZ, I can't imagine. Even today,after a below freezing night and with daytime temps not even touching 50F, they wouldn't have a chance of surviving. They sure sound delightful though. Can you post a picture of it lit? Or, does one light an ice lantern? I love the idea. Reminds me of scenes from Dr. Zivago.

Dyann said...

That's the ice lantern on the table, Helen. :) There's a star-shaped mold that you fill with water. You put it in the freezer for about 24 hours, then take it out of the mold and put a tealight candle in it. The whole thing glows. It wasn't cold enough for mine to stay frozen, but they do take a long time to melt. They would look gorgeous out on the front porch or something. Yes, they definitely would work well during a Russian winter.. :)

Anonymous said...

Drinking tea and knitting go hand in hand. I drink a mug of green tea...and download music..almost the same :)