Friday, February 3, 2012

Classroom Masterpieces

I don't make a habit of blogging about school, but the art these kids have been creating just begs to be posted. Plus, I can look back in future years and remind myself of projects I may have forgotten....

Since we learn about one artist a month, and try to emulate those artists' styles (i.e. copy their genius ideas), these masterpieces will all look a bit familiar. One reason I love focusing on abstract pieces is that kids get to discover that art doesn't have to be about skillfully representing reality. And they really get into the process of creating! They constantly amaze me with the way they work, pause, consider, ponder color choices, step back from their work, and make decisions about when they've done enough.

A few big pieces so far this year:

Sonia Delaunay allowed us to overlap, cross the mid line, and blend colors.
Henri Matisse got our scissors moving, and helped us learn about contrast.
Wassily Kandinsky taught us about concentric circles.
Not exactly Jackson Pollock, but our "Primary and Secondary Color Blown Art", as I called it, was splashy (read: messy) and heaps of fun.
And, since we spent a good six weeks or so drawing, painting, and crafting creatures for our ocean mural, I think it deserves masterpiece status:
In the works at the moment: Frida Kahlo-inspired self portraits, Australian Aboriginal dot paintings, and lots and lots of valentines. I love my job. :)

No comments: