Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Mystery Machine

Okay, so here goes my bi-annual post that chronicles the making of a cake....

Trev has recently become a fan of Scooby-Doo, and he said he'd love to have a birthday party full of Scooby-Dooish stuff. So we figured that a Mystery Machine cake would be perfect.

It went pretty smoothly. I just started with a 9x13 cake, and trimmed it a bit to look like a van. Easy peasy. The parts cut out for the wheel wells were turned into roof racks and fenders. Forgot to snap a pic before I began frosting, though.I got to have tons of fun with frosting colors, making sure to keep referring to the picture of the actual Mystery Machine (which I happen to think is completely awesome).
The wheels (and the spare tire) are Chips Ahoy cookies, covered with a ridiculous amount of frosting. Technically edible, but eww.
It turned out pretty psychedelic, if I do say so myself.
I'm not entirely sure if I make these cakes every year to delight the kids, or to prove to myself that I can actually do it. Maybe a bit of both... :)

While all of this caking was going on, Clara and Chad were getting decked out for a big night of YMCA and the Macarena at the Daddy Daughter Dance. These two are even prettier than my cake. :)Tomorrow, the house will be filled with eight-year-old boys. Party time!

No comments: