Thursday, February 5, 2009

Helen's Big Night

Second Graders at our school put on a big production every year, called the Patriotic Performance. The kids say a few lines each, as their Famous American of choice, and the whole 120 of them sing plenty of songs to keep the parents misty-eyed throughout. I'll be the first to admit that I tend to be a bit of an eye-roller when it comes to this sort of thing. But you know, the new administration has changed me. I can actually listen to "Proud to be an American" without gagging. November 4th was life-altering for me.

Clara was a dazzling Helen Keller, and we beamed with pride. She stepped right up to the microphone, finger-spelled "hello", and then said, "I'm Helen Keller. I lost my senses of sight and hearing when I was a baby. When I got older, I showed many people that you can do great things, even if you're blind and deaf."

Despite the obvious lack of visual and hearing impairment, she was certainly convincing in appearance. The Mrs. Claus costume we borrowed from a neighbor could not have been more perfect, and it was complimented by a white dress that I never let Clara wear because it sags open in the front. Add black shoes, black stockings, a big hair bow, and Voila!
Since I couldn't seem to keep Trevor from sneaking into the background of every shot, I finally let him pose with the star.
She's even moved up the food chain from last year's role as Mother Pig! You did an amazing job, Honeybun!

No comments: