Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Raining


I was thinking about my Auntie Willa, who was the first person I ever knew who died of cancer. I was really young – six, maybe– and I was scared of her.  Scared I'd catch it.  Scared of how people acted around her.  I have a fuzzy picture in my head of her lying on a couch (which I'm sure we called a chesterfield back then), her skin loose, wearing silver bracelets on her wrists.  I inherited a silver bracelet from her.  
After that, I think the C word pretty much disappeared from my life for a decade or so.  Then it started trickling back in.  Now it's everywhere.  And I am sick of it.  It has invaded the homes of family and friends and students, and it even snuck into our house until it got cut off.

Today there was a giant earthquake in Haiti, and someone I knew died of cancer, and our roof leaked.  

1 comment:

Denise said...

Dyann,
We've never met, but I am an old friend of Chad's from High school. I have been reading your blog, loving it, and sharing in your experiences...I too have had much loss of loved ones, and wanted to send you some support. Cancer sucks, people dying is the worst and the pain of the earthquake in Haiti is unbelievable.

The best home repair job for the leaking roof I have seen lately (from my single friend in Anacortes-where it rains non-stop)...tampax tampons work quite well stuffed into the ceiling where the worst drips are coming...this last for quite a long period of time...or until you can get your man home to help!