Saturday, June 11, 2011

Soccer girl is back!

When your kid plays competitive soccer, you exhaust yourself trying to keep everyone hydrated and fed and shaded and rested. You pull stinky socks and jerseys out of the laundry because there isn't time to wash them between games. You drive all over creation, in an oven of a car that smells like sunscreen and shin guards. You feel like you should officially change your middle name to "Schlep".

Crossing your third county line before sunrise, en route to a city you'd never even heard of, you sometimes imagine how lovely it would be if your kid didn't play competitive soccer. You picture yourself sleeping in on Saturdays, getting your toes done, being productive. You grumble about the time commitment, the mileage, the money. But, really, you don't mind it at all. You actually love it. It's thrilling watching that kid of yours doing amazing things out there on the field. Things you wish you could do. Things you are astonished that she can do. Wow. That's my daughter. She is awesome. You have become a soccer mom, through and through.

So, what do you do when your kid decides that she's had enough of the grind? She wants a break from hardcore soccer. She possibly wants to stop playing altogether? It seems to me that all you can do is step back and let her figure out what works for her. The conclusion reached by Clara is that she wants to try out a less intense soccer option this year. No year-round practices. No weekly tournaments. She doesn't want school and soccer to be all there is. I get that. Totally. So, we've had about six soccer-free months. And I think Clara has missed it a little bit - the teamwork and friendship, and exercise - but for me, lack of soccer feels like a huge void. Oh, I love the free time, no doubt, but I miss the community. And I don't like thinking about the whole thing carrying on without us. Most of all, I miss watching my dazzling little athlete in action. Seeing her strength and confidence and determination blazing past me. I miss the excitement and awe.

I'm proud of Clara in oh, so many ways, but today, after what felt like forever, I got to be the proud soccer mom again. And the best part? Soccer girl was happy to be back.It didn't hurt that we went to Jamba Juice afterwards.... :)

No comments: