Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Clara Montara

Clara started ballet classes recently. She goes to her class on Thursday after school, and then stays in character all throughout Thursday evening. Still dressed in full pink or black (depending on whether she has been dancing to Brahms or Beethoven), she leaps around the house, sometimes using her brother as an obstacle. I'm glad she likes ballet...it was my thing as a kid, after all (before I became a bowler :)), but I had no idea how expensive the whole thing was going to be! I expected to pay for the class and clothing, but I actually gasped when I heard that we need to fork out $75.00 for a costume for the recital. Then, we need to buy tickets to go and see the recital. Sheesh. It made me wonder how much my parents had to sacrifice to keep me on my toes for so many years. Thanks, folks.
Part of Clara's urge to perform comes from listening to Hanna Montana. We don't let her watch the TV show (one of the many injustices of her 7-year-old world), but she does have a Hanna Montana/Miley Cirus CD collection (I'll spare you the long story explaining why she has two names). Chad can't stand the music, but I don't find it too torturous. Anyway, back in December, Hanna/Miley was touring, and I toyed with the idea of taking Clara, until I found out the tickets ran about $300 bucks apiece. There I go, grousing about money again. But I digress.... As it turns out, the concert was made into a 3-D movie, for fifteen bucks a pop. Much better. So we went. Clara and I both looked very insect-like in the 3-D glasses, but it was the neatest thing! My first 3-D movie ever. I could have done with a little less screaming from the crowd, but we had a good time.
I can't really find the words to describe this little ensemble, but I will say that she never left the house like this.
Clara practices her routines for some future concert she will be presenting when she is a star. Trevor is one of the stunt dancers. His cat, Lisa, adds a feline touch to the whole performance.
Spring finally peeked its way through the grey today, and Clara was immediately struck with summer fever. This getup was not quite appropriate, but I applaud her conviction to the turn in the weather.

No comments: