Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Sick Child + Healthy Child = Tired Mother

Clara woke up sick in the middle of the night last night. As Murphy would have it, Chad is on the opposite corner of the continental US. At 2 am, I was writing sub plans and taking care of sickness. Morning came, and with it a phone call from Trevor's babysitter, saying that her daughter was sick - no babysitting today. Luckily, it was a preschool morning, so at least Trevor could be out of the (germy, disgusting) house for a few hours. I hauled out the 3rd-string baby and kiddie blankets, and got my poor sickie set up on the couch. I imagined myself sleeping all morning, but then somehow got a second wind (commonly known as "coffee"), and got a few things done around here. No sleep. Clara, by the way, was basically a couch statue for the entire day. Make that one of those statues with a small fountain.
Enter Trevor at 12:15, full of energy. Me, not so much. But we had fun anyway. The sun was shining and it was just a flat out gorgeous day. Lots of fresh, non-contaminated air out in the backyard. It was a good day to make a "Flamingo Mango Smoothie" for Bendy, our plastic lawn flamingo. Bendy's favorite food is the aforementioned smoothie. It doesn't actually have mango in it, though. Ingredients may include (but are not limited to) stones, dirt, grass, wood chips, water (always from the hose), bubble soap, dandelions, and sometimes whiffle balls. It all gets dumped into a little tin pail, then mixed together with an old railroad spike. Bendy drinks it. His face gets very messy, so Trevor has another excuse to get out the hose.
I wonder if the neighbors are ever curious as to why we sometimes have a flamingo on the front lawn, and sometimes have only a set of flamingo legs. Perhaps they think it is a weird amputee thing....
I spent the afternoon and evening doing everything in my power to keep Trevor uninfected. I washed my hands so many times that my wedding ring is suddenly loose. Now, all I can do is be grateful that Clara seems to be on the mend, and hopeful that Trevi has somehow stayed clean. As for me, I am tired. Bedtime.

No comments: