Sunday, March 9, 2008

Ear Infection

Trevor woke up in the middle of the night complaining that he "had hiccups in his ears", which progressed to, "My ears feel all puffy," to "There is something stuck in my ear," and finally, "My ear hurts." Naturally this always happens on a weekend....it was Saturday night, even...so there is the torture of waiting through the night, and then the trek the next day to someone other than our regular pediatrician because her clinic is closed on Sundays. But these are the things we sign up for in the contract of parenthood.....
I was feeling somewhat grumpy from lack of sleep and ridiculous waiting room wait time, but Trevor managed to stay upbeat despite his pain. He has a funny new habit of late. He really enunciates the ending consonants of most words. I have absolutely no idea how this came about, but it is just the most bizarre thing. Instead of saying, "I'm going to sit down and read a book," he says, "I'muh goinguh to situh downuh anduh readuh a bookuh." It truly sounds like he is trying to put on a really bad, stereotypical, fake Italian accent. We bite our tongues to keep from calling him Godfather or Luigi. While I do hope that Trevi will outgrow this odd phase, it is rather amusing for the time being. And it took the edge off my grumpiness today. Also, we went out in the backyard when we got home, and I found that this view knocked huge chunks out of my grumpiness.
It is a good idea to fully appreciate these gorgeous trees now, because we will be cursing them when they are spilling fruit all over the sidewalk and we have to clean it up (and when I say, "we", I mean, "Chad"). Making a cameo appearance in this shot is our cat, Moomoos.
This warm day, and the lovely blossoms put me in the mood for a little e.e. cummings:

in just-

    in Just-
    spring when the world is mud-
    luscious the little
    lame balloonman

    whistles far and wee

    and eddieandbill come
    running from marbles and
    piracies and it's
    spring

    when the world is puddle-wonderful

    the queer
    old balloonman whistles
    far and wee
    and bettyandisbel come dancing

    from hop-scotch and jump-rope and

    it's
    spring
    and
    the

    goat-footed

    balloonMan whistles
    far
    and
    wee

    e.e. cummings

No comments: