Saturday, March 8, 2008

The Three Bears

I had an interesting conversation with Trevor this morning. He asked me why we never ate "pollidge", and if it was only a food for bears. I chuckled and asked him to tell me again what the food was called (I LOVE kid mispronunciations), and he said, "Baby Bear on Sesame Street calls it 'powidge', but that's only because he's supposed to be a baby. The real way to say it is, 'pollidge'. Did you ever notice that pollidge rhymes with college, Mummy?" So we chatted about Goldilocks for awhile, and had oatmeal for breakfast (I googled 'porridge' to make sure it actually was the same as oatmeal, and yes, it can be, but it can also be made from other grains or legumes.) Then, in his beautiful little way, Trevi suggested that we act out the story with our pollidge. And that occupied us until it was finally a reasonable hour to go to Home Depot. Let me just say that I am overjoyed to be able to turn the clocks ahead tonight (although it is a substantial job to do so, as we have way too many clocks). My children are like roosters, and I am more than happy to get ready for work in the dark if it means that there is a remote chance that Clara and Trevor will stay in bed past six.
Anyway.....Trevor has been very keen on the idea of helping to paint the kitchen, so I had promised him that we would do some painting today. As it turns out, he didn't find the reality of painting to be as fun as his vision (which was basically a rewrite of Margaret Wise Brown's "The Color Kittens", where Brush and Hush knock over a bunch of cans of paint and create all the colors of the world). I wouldn't let him knock over any cans of paint. I told him that Brush and Hush probably didn't have to pay for theirs, and certainly didn't have to clean up the mess.
But he enjoyed it for a few minutes, and most of the paint ended up on the wall. Tomorrow I'll go kid-centered and put up some butcher paper on the fence, but for today, I stuck with my agenda and tried to get more of the kitchen done. Trevor created some new backyard games involving Polly Pockets and cups full of rocks, and then he and I spent over an hour doing jigsaw puzzles. During dinner, Trevi announced, "I think that the Three Bears should try something else besides pollidge. It's good to try new things." I agreed and asked what they should try, and after thinking for a moment, he said, "I bet if they left some spicy sushi in the house, Goldilocks wouldn't want to eat it all up." There is no way that any boy in the world is more delightful than you, manny moo.

No comments: