Thursday, July 3, 2008

Everything is an Instrument

Trevi and I had to run some errands today, and we found ourselves in a really cool shop with fair trade products from all over the world. I have been pricing different kinds of handmade instruments - shakers, thumb pianos, drums, and the like - because we want to turn the wall that houses our piano into a musical art collection that can be hung up, taken down, and played.

As we wandered through the store, I let Trevor play all of the instruments we found (which were numerous). At one point, he took a mallet from a marimba, and started tapping on a big vase with it. I said, "No, Manny, I don't think that's meant to be an instrument. It's a vase." And do you know what that boy said to me? He said, "You must not have heard what a beautiful sound it made when I hit it, Mummy. Everything is an instrument. You just have to listen."

No comments: