Sunday, April 27, 2008

Backyard Coffee and Smoothies

I suppose I spend far too much time saying, "I'll play with you as soon as I make my coffee," because Trevor has taken to luring me outside in the morning with the promise of his freshly brewed cup o' joe. "You don't need any coffee, Mummy," he'll say, "Because I can make you some in the backyard."
Like most of his nature drinks, backyard coffee is fibrelicious. It is chock full o'nuts, bolts, gravel, tan bark, and dead leaves from our poor, shriveled bamboo plant. Speaking of dead plants, check out Chad's little sticky note that he left for me on the flower pot (click to enlarge). We have been married for almost ten years now, and he knows me well enough to assume (correctly) that when he goes out of town, plants will be neglected.

A slightly more potable backyard drink is the smoothie. We actually prepare our smoothies in the kitchen, with real ingredients. Smoothie making has become a ritual part of most warm weekends, and we always retire to the backyard to enjoy the fruits (and yogurts) of our labor.
Today, it was a peach, mango, and orange blend, which we all thought was right up there with our best batch ever. And for the first time in recorded history, we all managed to finish without a single brain freeze!
And when the blender's not in use creating smoothies, we make a mean piƱa colada around here.

No comments: