Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Friendship Bracelets

Aunt Jan and Uncle Bill sent Clara a bead set for Christmas, and she has been getting it out several times a week and starting the process of making a bracelet. Her big plan is to hold a bracelet sale one day, and raise money to buy toys for herself. Until today, though, she has never actually finished an entire bracelet. You see, the beads are tiny, and it takes a good deal of time and patience to get the job done.
Today, Clara came home from a birthday party, very excited about having met a new friend. She immediately set to work on a bracelet for Brooklyn, carefully picking out each bead.
As she proudly showed me her completed project, I congratulated her for having worked at it from start to finish. Clara said, "I finally figured out why I couldn't finish any of the other bracelets. I was making them for the wrong reason. I mean, they're called friendship bracelets, not money bracelets." Nice insight into motivation, sweetie.

No comments: