Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Silky

It is silkworm season. Every preschool around here seems to be raising them, and Clara's Science teacher had about a zillion of them, which she offered out to any student who could supply the little grub with a steady diet of mulberry leaves. Well, we happen to have two giant mulberry trees in the backyard. I love the trees, but I don't happen to love the fact that I told people about them, because now we are feeding the entire silkworm population of the city. Anyway, Clara brought home a silkworm, aptly named, "Silky", and we have been watching it eat, poop, and grow for a few days now. I can't say that I really like the thing, since it looks like something you would eat on a survival show. I am also a bit wary of anything that doesn't try to escape its enclosure. In any case, we were excited today to see a bit of tangled thread in Silky's tub. Let's hope he/she/it cocoons sometime soon, while we still have a few leaves left on our trees.

No comments: