Monday, April 14, 2008

Dictionaries can be fun!

After school today, Clara went back to her post at the circulation desk, and I came to borrow some more books. One of my choices was a dictionary. I actually got the dictionary from Scholastic some time ago, and it has been sitting on the bookshelf ever since, hiding amongst the coloring books. My conversation with Clara the librarian about the dictionary suddenly morphed into a game. I named a word, and Clara looked it up. She looked up word after word. Then, she picked another word on the same page and read the sentence that demonstrated the word's use, omitting the word in question. I had to guess what the word was. Sometimes I guessed ridiculous things, and she read the sentence again, inserting the ridiculous guess. You know, as I write this, it sounds like a bogus teacher thing to do with your poor kid. But it was fun. Seriously. And Clara, bless her heart, loves the fact that she learned how to use a dictionary today.

No comments: