Saturday, April 12, 2008

The Library

This morning, Clara was nagging me to let her invite friends over, and I was trying to stall having to pull myself together and tame my bedhead. I suggested that she read. She nagged a bit more, which didn't work, and then she resorted to begging, which NEVER works (and why, WHY, after seven years, has she not yet figured out that begging NEVER works????). I once again suggested that she curl up with a good book. She shlumped and pouted over to the bookshelf and started casually flipping through the books. And thus began the construction of a new library.
Within minutes she was completely absorbed in the task of sorting all of the books into every type of category imaginable. She hummed as she worked, and even smiled at me and said, "Sorting books feels so nice, doesn't it? It's just so good to know that they will all be in the right place." Such a totally Clara thing to say.
Of course our girl's MO is that she forms a business out of whatever it is she is currently working on. I was pleasantly surprised that this one would be a library, as opposed to a bookstore. Her late fees are a bit steep, though....$19.95 per book per day. Little does she know that she will never see a penny from this library-goer... I gave her a fake name when I applied for my library card. :)

No comments: