Sunday, April 6, 2008

He Said, She Said

These read like those dumb little stories from Parents Magazine, but they are straight from the mouths of babes....

Trevor was clearing his dishes from the table, and he said, "I am such a good helper because I am a great man." He paused for a second, and then said, "I'm not talking about the bad kind of man. I'm talking about the good kind of man." I gave him a puzzled look, and he continued, "Sometimes it's bad to be a man, because if your boy does something bad, you say, 'Oh, man!'"

Clara was putting on a little show for me, dancing around and singing Karaoke in some crazy combination of items from the dress-up bin. After the curtain closed, I told her that she looked cool in her outfit. She said, "Don't you mean pretty?", and I said, " Yes, that too, but 'cool' was the first word that came to mind." She then proceeded to explain that girls try to be pretty and boys try to be cool. I reminded her that she had recently made me a card telling me how cool she thought I was. Of course she had a logical explanation: "Women who are married can just give up trying to be pretty, and at least try to be cool." Shoot. So I blew sixty bucks on Bare Minerals for nothing.

1 comment:

Apryl Kuhn said...

I got such a good laugh out of Clara's comment that I had to share it with my husband, and he laughed too. Out of the mouth of babes! At least if there's no more hope for us married ladies to be pretty, we can still *try* to be cool. I have the feeling in a few years we'll be failing at that as well!