Sunday, June 29, 2008

A Blank Canvas

For a long time now, I have been talking about making a giant painting for our bedroom that was the combined effort of all four of us. A few weeks ago, I received a sign (in the form of a half price sale on all canvases) that it was time to stop talking and start painting.
The kids got first crack at this vast expanse of white. I gave them about a dozen colors, and asked them to use any kind of shapes or lines, but to keep things abstract. It was mainly Clara who needed to hear that, because Trevi is an abstract kind of guy anyway. And he proved it while painting by saying things like, "Look how abstract my squiggles are, Mummy!"
I also let them know that this would be an ongoing project, and they should stop whenever they felt like they had done enough for the day.
Here's a look at how things progressed:
Chad and I are digging the masterpiece so far, and I can't wait to see how it changes over the coming days (or weeks?). I love watching how thoughtful the kids are about their work. Clara even asked me if I was planning on using any yellow in my sections, because she didn't want "the whole painting to look too much like bright sunlight". Chad and I will add some of our own abstract squiggles once the kids have filled up most of the space. Fun.

No comments: