Friday, June 6, 2008

Clara's Teeth

Clara made a collage of photos at school this week, and as I looked at them, I was struck by her changing teeth. Naturally, I've been watching the metamorphosis of her mouth, and tracking the comings and goings of teeth and Tooth Fairy, but I hadn't really looked at a year's worth of photos side by side. It was very interesting (and funny) to compare September with December, with May. So I thought to myself, "Hey! I've got a ton of pictures of those teeth! I should put together a tooth retrospective!" And here it is:

11/4/06 - All baby teeth are still firmly in place as we head to a Kindergarten cakewalk.

1/28/07 - A couple of weeks after her 6th Birthday, Clara loses her first two teeth on the same day! Caught unprepared, I manage to MacGyver a tooth holder with an old jewelery bag and some glitter glue.

4/3/07 - After a few months of gummy smiles, we finally start to see some teeth peeking through.

7/27/07 - The bottom teeth are almost all the way in, and the top ones are showing signs of impending loss. All corn must be eaten off the cob.

7/29/07 - Yep, there goes the first top one.

8/9/07 - Filthy and happy on the way home from a camping trip, she mercilessly twists and tugs at her remaining top front tooth, grossing me out in the process.

8/21/07 - This tooth fought the good fight, and eventually was yanked out with needle-nosed pliers, after numerous apples and even the string-on-the-door trick didn't work.

10/10/07 - Throughout the fall, she has the perfect look of a First Grader, and she is the poster girl for "All I Want for Christmas is my Two Front Teeth" (oh, if only that were true!)

12/6/07 - Another bottom tooth makes its exit.

12/28/07 - It may be Christmastime, but Clara's doing her best jack-o'-lantern impression.

2/24/08 - Little mouth. Big teeth. You do the math.

4/9/08 - Those top ones are starting to even out a bit, and she can already taste a summer's worth of corn on the cob.

6/3/08 - Clara's beautiful smile at the end of First Grade.

Watch out for the sequel: The Orthodontist

No comments: