Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Music to my Ears

It seems a bit greedy to be writing about this the day after getting a piano, but Chad and the kids are away camping, so I have no kid stories to tell at the moment.

The thing is, I really, really, really want to get an old phone. I just don't like the bleepy rings of phones these days, and I desperately miss this lovely sound: http://www.rotarydialphones.com/ring.wav
I realize that this fondness for real, true ringing makes me seem very old fogeyish. But I've made no secret of the fact that I have strong negative feelings about cell phones, and please don't even get me started on texting. That said, I LOVE technology, LOVE computers, and never wish, for a moment, that smart people out there weren't inventing these things. I'm just getting a bit nostalgic as I approach 39 (which is the approach to 40). Look at this beautiful phone. I can just picture it, hanging proudly on our purple kitchen wall.
Listen to it again. http://www.rotarydialphones.com/ring.wav Isn't that nice?
My mom is going to laugh at this, because we went several rounds when I was a teenager and I wanted her to get a (high tech!) push button phone for our kitchen. You were right, Mom. Dial phones are where it's at. I am actually really curious to see what would happen if I tried to navigate a hotline of some kind using a rotary dial. I wouldn't be able to enter my account number and hit "pound". Back in the good old days, we didn't have to worry about these things. "Pound" had nothing to do with phones. It was just how much ground beef you needed to make a meatloaf.

1 comment:

Tara and Dale said...

LOVING the phone! will have to control myself to not be a big copycat and get the same one. :)